If you like paklava, you’ll LOVE boorma.
Boorma is made from the same ingredients, but with a unique shape, lighter taste and more delicate texture.
My aunt Arpie Vartanesian has always been the boorma-maker in our family. I figured it was time to learn, so I asked her to show me the technique.
For some reason, I always thought there was some great mystery behind making boorma, but, as it turns out, it’s really a cinch - as long as you have the right tool.
What tool? A wooden dowel (about 3/8“ in diameter and 18“ long), the kind that you can purchase at a home improvement center, is the key to shaping boorma. Auntie Arpie’s dowel was handed down from her mother, so it has made many-a boorma.
The recipe is pretty simple. Auntie Arpie graciously prepared the recipe on camera for all to enjoy.
So click here to see the VIDEO on YouTube and come along as we watch Auntie Arpie make this classic Armenian dessert.
1- 1 lb. pkg. fillo dough, at room temperature
1 lb. chopped walnuts or pistachio nuts
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1. Lay out the fillo dough on a work surface and cover it with a dry towel.
2. Mix the chopped nuts, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Take a single fillo sheet and fold it in half. Brush with melted butter, especially the edges.
4. Sprinkle a tablespoon of the nut mixture all over the dough.
5. Place the dowel on top of the dough at the end closest to you, and loosely roll the dowel away from you.
6. With one hand on either end of the dough, squeeze inward toward the middle, crinkling the dough.
7. Gently slide it off the dowel, and place on a greased baking sheet.
8. Continue to do this until all fillo sheets and filling are used.
9. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until boorma is golden brown.
10. Cool completely.
11. Once the boorma is cooled, drizzle each one with simple syrup just
before serving. The boorma will be slightly sweet, and crispy.
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
A drop of lemon juice
Heat the sugar & water in a saucepan, until sugar is dissolved, then add
lemon juice. Cool until ready to use.