Did I ever tell you about the time I started a fire while attempting to light my sister’s hibachi grill?
I was visiting Dawn and her husband Ara in Arlington, Mass. one summer weekend. They were renting the first floor in a lovely 2-family house.
My sister asked me to start the fire while she prepped some of the grilling ingredients inside. So, like a dummy, I set the hibachi on the outside wooden staircase. I wasn’t much of fire-builder, since I always had trouble lighting matches!
After many tries, I lit the match. However, instead of tossing the lit match in the grill, it landed on the steps. (Did I mention the steps were wooden?) I don’t know what happened next, as I was screaming frantically.
Fortunately, my sister was quick-thinking, and had a bucket of water there in a jiffy. No harm done - except I never, ever tried to light a grill again!
Thank goodness for my George Foreman electric grill!!!
Here are some Grilling Safety Tips:
1. Make sure the grill is at least 10 feet away from other objects -- that includes the house, shrubs, trees, etc.
2. Never leave a lit grill unattended.
3. If using a charcoal grill, only use a starter fluid made for that type of grill.
4. If using a gas grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line to be sure there is no leak.
DO NOT use a match to check for leaks!!!
5. If you find a leak, immediately turn off the gas. Fix the leak before turning on the grill.
6. Don’t ever bring a barbecue grill into your home or garage. You’ll be at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning and fire.
7. Keep children and pets away from the grilling area.
8. Have a bucket of water handy - just in case!
SUPER IMPORTANT: NEVER pour water on a grease fire.
If the fire is outside, throw dirt on it. If the fire is inside your kitchen, try to smother the
flames with a pot lid, or use salt, baking soda, or a fire extinguisher.