Linda, I hope this recipe brings back fond memories.
1 ¼ cup clarified butter* (or use a combination of 1/2 margarine and 1/2 butter at room temperature)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
Approx. 2 ½ cups flour (enough flour for consistency of pie dough)
1. Cream clarified butter, sugar, and egg yolk until mixture reaches creamy consistency. Add flour a little at a time, and mix with hands until the consistency of pie dough.
2. Lightly press dough into an 11”x 7 - 1/2”x 1 ½” or equivalent size pan. Brush top with egg white, removing excess white. Cut into diamond shapes.
3. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 300°F and continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes more or until golden brown.
4. Remove from oven while still warm, recut diamond shapes. When completely cool, carefully remove from pan. Makes about 2 to 3 dozen cookies.
*To clarify butter: Melt about 1 ½ to 1 ¾ cups butter or butter and margarine over low heat until foam appears. Skim foam and keep on low heat for about 15 minutes or until water has evaporated and salt and solids settle to bottom of pan. Cool about 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully pour clarified butter into container, leaving salt and solids at bottom of the pan. Discard solids.
1. I used an electric hand mixer to cream together the clarified butter, sugar and yolk.
2. A wooden spoon was used to stir in the flour, then I used my hands to form the dough.
3. After baking the cookies for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, I baked the cookies for an additional 30 minutes at the lower temperature.
WARNING: These cookies are very rich...eat with caution!