The ‘Arsene Sandwich’ is a specialty of Doug’s cousin, Arsene Dirkelessian. Some might call this a grilled cheese sandwich; we call it spectacular! While visiting Arsene and his family, who reside on the outskirts of Paris, he prepared this as a quick and delicious breakfast for us. I’ve gotta say, it was a great way to start the day.
1. Cut chunks of crusty French bread, fill it with crumbled Feta cheese, fresh mozzarella cheese slices (or any cheese that melts well), crushed dried mint, a sprinkle of Aleppo red pepper (or a hint of cayenne), and a drizzle of olive oil.
2. Grill it on both sides in a heated, lightly greased skillet, pressing down until the cheese melts and a minty fragrance fills the air.
3. Serve with fresh fruit (or juice) and coffee.
1. Prepare this with your favorite bread, and if you have a George Forman grill or a Panini press, it’s a cinch to make.
2. This sandwich is great for lunch with a cup of your favorite soup or a crisp salad.
3. Check out Arsene’s other recipes for mujadarah, and 3-day hummus!