|Spicy Yogurt Cake|
Spicy Yogurt Cake
Yield: 2 (8-inch) round cakes
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground allspice
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. salt
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
4 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Shake out excess flour.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla at high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Using a low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt, beating until mixture is smooth.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
To serve: dust with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.
The results are in: First of all, the scent of the spices perfumed the entire house. The cake had a gentle spiciness, with a sweetness that wasn’t overpowering. The texture, although not as moist as if it had oil or melted butter in it, was moist enough with a tender crumb.
Would I make this again? Absolutely!