|Nina Yousefian (seated, lower left) with 4 generations of her family|
After acquiring Nina’s permission to write about her, she shared this with me:
“The cheese combination (for the boreg filling) is really my own. I started to use the combination some 3-4 years ago when our Sunday School would have its Christmas decorating party and the Sunday School kids would make them. The combination was yummy, and it made some 80 boregs so I stuck with it.
Also, I entered a cheese boreg and another (recipe) for the Orange County Fair (CA) and I took first place and ‘best in show’ ".
1 x 15 oz. tub of ricotta cheese
1 lb. muenster cheese, cut into small cubes
1 lb. shredded mozzarella
1/2 lb. shredded cheddar cheese (use the type that is a blend)
1/2 to 1 bunch of chopped, fresh parsley, preferably flat Italian with the stems removed.
3 pkgs. of 15 - 9" puff pastry squares (this should make close to 80 boregs)
· cut the puff pastry dough into 5”x5”squares
· place a heaping Tbsp. near one corner of each square.
. fold the dough over the filling to create a triangle
· pinch edges together or close with a fork.
· brush with an egg wash
· sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional)
· bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
2. leftover puff pastry dough can be frozen.
3. leftover filling makes a great omelet, so nothing goes to waste.