It’s great to see WW utilizing some of our familiar (Armenian-Middle Eastern) ingredients in recipes that still allow folks lose weight.
Way to go Weight Watchers!
|Ingredients for Lentil-BlackBean Chili|
|Ready to Eat!|
Lentil and Black Bean Chili (adapted from 2 Weight Watchers chili recipes)
1 cup dry (brown or green) lentils, picked through to remove unwanted particles, and rinsed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup onions, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 Tbsp. canned Serrano peppers, drained and chopped (NOTE: poblano, cubanelle, or sweet red peppers can be substituted)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
28 oz. canned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup yellow corn, fresh, frozen or canned (drained)
1- 15 1/2 oz. canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, or left whole (optional)
For serving (optional): hot sauce, low-fat plain yogurt, and/or fresh lime wedges
1. Place lentils in a large saucepan. Completely cover lentils with water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer lentils until they are al dente, about 10-15 minutes. Drain; set aside.
2. In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and peppers; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, and salt to skillet and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Using the large saucepan again, add tomatoes with the liquid, partially-cooked lentils, and onion-seasoning mixture. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until lentils are tender and flavors blend. Stir occasionally. If chili gets too thick, stir in a little water to thin it out.
5. Stir in corn and black beans; simmer, covered, over medium heat; cook an additional 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
4. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, if using; finish with a squeeze of lime juice.
To serve: Stir in a few drops of hot sauce, a dollop of low-fat plain yogurt and/or a squeeze of fresh lime juice, if desired.