|Lemony Artichokes, Potatoes and Dill|
Lemony Artichokes, Potatoes and DillServes: 4 to 5
Ingredients:2 shallots, sliced lengthwise
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 lb. fingerling or small red potatoes scrubbed, unpeeled and cut in half – or - in quarters, if too large
3 medium carrots peeled and thinly sliced on a diagonal
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced on a diagonal
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup cold water
¼ cup fresh lemon juice, or more according to your taste
1 cup vegetable broth (canned or homemade), or water
1 -10 oz. pkg. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, cut in half (canned artichokes – not marinated - may be substitute)
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped (1 Tbsp. dried dill may be substituted)
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
¼ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
Garnish: crumbled feta cheese, optionalDirections:
1. Place the cut potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the potatoes with water. Place plastic wrap over the bowl, making a few slits in the plastic to allow excess steam to escape. Cook on HIGH for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain; set potatoes aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the shallots and onions; saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery; continue to saute another 5 minutes.
3. Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and mix well. Cook about a minute or two stirring constantly.
4. Stir in the lemon juice, vegetable broth (or water), salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or until the carrots, celery and potatoes are fork tender. Add additional water if needed.
5. Add the artichokes and dill; adjust seasonings taste. Cover and simmer an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the artichokes are tender.
6. Just before serving, garnish with crumbled feta cheese, if desired.