So, put on your aprons, and get ready for another celebration!
Madzoon Abour (Yogurt Soup)
1 cup gorgod (shelled whole grain wheat - found in most Middle Eastern stores)
3 cups chicken broth
1 quart plain yogurt
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stick (8 Tbsp.) unsalted butter
2 to 3 Tbsp. dried mint
|Shelled wheat - gorgod|
1. In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil; add gorgod, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat, and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg, then gently combine egg with the yogurt; set aside.
3. In a skillet, melt the stick of butter over medium-low heat. Saute the onion until softened, but not browned. Stir in the mint and cook 2 minutes.
4. After the gorgod has sat for 30 minutes, check to see if the liquid has been absorbed. If so, then add 2 to 3 cups water and bring to a boil again. Remove gorgod from heat; set aside.
5. Take some of the hot liquid from the gorgod and slowly add it to the yogurt-egg mixture, making sure the yogurt does not curdle.
6. Carefully add yogurt-egg mixture to gorgod. Stir in the onion-mint mixture to combine.
7. Return the saucepan to the heat and bring to a simmer just long enough to heat everything through. Do NOT overcook.