It’s pretty hot in Florida most of the year, so when we crave a stick-to-your-ribs meal, we either lower the air conditioner’s thermostat, or, if outside temperatures permit, swing open the doors and windows.
Yield: 5 to 6 servings
1 1/2 lb. ground lamb, beef, or turkey - not too fatty
1 large eggplant sliced in half lengthwise, then into 1/2 in. slices -OR- 2 large zucchini cut into 1/2 in. circles
2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into about 1/4 in. slices
Sliced tomatoes - as many as will fit in between above ingredients
Salt, pepper, and allspice to taste
1- 6 oz. can tomato paste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix meat with salt, pepper, allspice, and one tablespoon tomato paste, then form meat into 10 to 12 patties, about ½ inch thick.
3. Place the cut potatoes and eggplant (or zucchini, if using) in a bowl. Lightly toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Arrange all of the above vegetables and meat patties alternately, in a standing position in a large roasting pan (approx. 9"x 13"). Note pan size will vary depending on the amount of ingredients used.
5. Dilute remaining tomato paste in 1 cup water; season with a little salt and pepper.
6. Pour diluted tomato paste over the meat and vegetables.
7. Bake, uncovered, for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender, and the top begins to brown.