Sunday, March 7, 2010
Vospov Kufteh - Red Lentils with Bulgur
Serve it with a salad, and you've got a delicious, nutritious, vegetarian meal.
Vospov Kufteh - Red Lentils With Bulgur
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked over
3 cups water (for the lentils)
1/2 cup fine bulgur (#1)
1 cup water (for the bulgur)
1 medium onion, finely chopped and divided
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp. Cumin
½ tsp. Paprika
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper, optional
Garnishes: Chopped parsley and thinly sliced onions
1. Place 3 cups water and lentils in a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle boil. Remove any foam that rises to the top. Simmer, and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. The finished mixture should be very thick.
(Robyn's Note: If, after 40 minutes, the mixture seems a bit watery, strain it through a fine sieve before adding bulgur.)
2. While lentils are cooking, soak the bulgur in one cup of warm water to soften; do not let it get mushy. Drain off any excess water.
3. Saute half of the chopped onion in heated olive oil until slightly golden. Allow to cool a bit.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked lentils, bulgur, raw and sauteed onion. Add the salt, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper, if using. Knead the mixture to combine all of the ingredients. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. (Robyn's Note: If mixture is too soft to shape, chill it in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.)
5. Shape the mixture into 10 to 12 sausage shapes. (If mixture is on the dry side, be sure to moisten your hands while shaping.) Arrange on a serving platter.
6. Garnish with chopped parsley and thinly sliced onions. Serve with a chopped salad to complete the meal.