As soon as we returned from that trip, I began making scones with whatever dried fruits and nuts I happened to have on hand.
Here’s a recipe that would be perfect on Christmas morning – or any other morning. Hope you’ll like it!
Apricot – Pistachio Scones
Yield: 8 substantial scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup light cream, divided
1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
¼ cup chopped pistachio nuts
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut-in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, about the size of small peas. Chill in the refrigerator about 10 minutes.
3. Add ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. of the light cream, the apricots and pistachio nuts, stirring until dry ingredients are moist. Dough will be a bit crumbly.
4. Place dough on a clean work surface, patting it down into a circle about ½ inch thick. Cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
5. Place the wedges on a lightly greased baking sheet so they are not touching.
6. Lightly brush the tops with remaining cream. Sprinkle tops with a little extra sugar, if desired.
7. Bake in a preheated 450°F oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.