A 9"x 13" pan yielded about 24 pieces
1 pkg. kadaif (shredded phyllo dough), defrosted and at room temperature
¾ lb. (3 sticks) unsalted, *clarified*, melted butter
3 cups chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or pistachios)
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
**Simple Syrup** (recipe below)
2. Pour the melted butter over the dough, tossing with 2 forks to distribute butter throughout.
3. In a medium bowl stir together the nuts, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Distribute half of the dough in a 9” x13” inch baking pan. Gently press down dough.
5. Sprinkle the nut-cinnamon mixture over the layer of shredded dough to cover.
6. Top the nut mixture with the remaining dough, distributing it evenly.
7. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Cut into serving pieces.
9. While still hot, pour some simple syrup over each piece. Let guests add more syrup, if desired.
NOTE: Can be served warm or at room temperature.* How to clarify butter: Slowly melt unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Let butter rest 5 minutes. Skim foam from the surface and discard. Ladle clarified (clear) butter into a bowl being careful not to scoop up any milk solids and water which have sunk to bottom of saucepan.
**Simple Syrup:2 cups sugar
1 cup water
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
· Heat sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved, stirring from time to time.
· Add lemon juice.
· Cool until ready to use.