Lucine’s original recipe is listed first; my recipe variations follow along with the results.
Lucine’s SWISS CHARD LENTIL SOUPPrep time: 20 mins. Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients:1/3 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
6-8 cups chicken broth (can mix with beef broth)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large white onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 medium carrots, diced
2 cans chickpeas, drained and washed
1 pound Swiss chard, washed, stemmed and chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon salt to taste
Dash of red wine vinegar
1) Place lentils in a large saucepan (12" diameter x 6" high). Add broth, bring to boil, and cook over medium heat for 15 mins.
2) Heat oil in skillet, saute onion and garlic until onion is transparent. Add lentils with carrots and chickpeas. Stir to combine, cover and cook over medium-low heat 15 mins or until tender. Add Swiss chard, coriander, allspice, salt and red wine vinegar. (You may want to add the chard gradually so that it wilts first and gives you room to add more.) Cook 5-7 mins. Adjust seasoning by tasting and serve hot with lemon juice or wedges squeezed over soup.
|Swiss chard lentil soup made in The Armenian Kitchen|
- ½ cup lentils instead of 1/3 cup
- Olive oil instead of veg. oil
- 1 can chickpeas instead of 2
- ½ tsp. salt instead of 1 tsp.
- ¼ + cup lemon juice instead of dash of red wine vinegar
- a blend of 3 cups lamb broth (which I had in the freezer) plus 1 (32-oz) box low- sodium chicken broth
|Sautéeing the veggies and spices|
|Adding the lentils to the broth|
Then I added the onion mixture, chick peas, lemon juice and the chard – one handful at a time, adding more as the chard wilted. I let it cook for about 20-30 minutes on medium - low heat with the pot partially covered. Added water as broth evaporated.
|Adding the chard a little at a time|
This soup is certainly a healthy, hearty, one-pot meal. Thanks, Lucine!