Lucine’s original recipe is listed first; my recipe variations follow along with the results.
Lucine’s SWISS CHARD LENTIL SOUPPrep time: 20 mins. Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients:1/3 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
6-8 cups chicken broth (can mix with beef broth)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large white onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 medium carrots, diced
2 cans chickpeas, drained and washed
1 pound Swiss chard, washed, stemmed and chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon salt to taste
Dash of red wine vinegar
1) Place lentils in a large saucepan (12" diameter x 6" high). Add broth, bring to boil, and cook over medium heat for 15 mins.
2) Heat oil in skillet, saute onion and garlic until onion is transparent. Add lentils with carrots and chickpeas. Stir to combine, cover and cook over medium-low heat 15 mins or until tender. Add Swiss chard, coriander, allspice, salt and red wine vinegar. (You may want to add the chard gradually so that it wilts first and gives you room to add more.) Cook 5-7 mins. Adjust seasoning by tasting and serve hot with lemon juice or wedges squeezed over soup.
|Swiss chard lentil soup made in The Armenian Kitchen|
Here are my ingredient adjustments for Lucine’s Swiss chard lentil soup:
- ½ cup lentils instead of 1/3 cup
- Olive oil instead of veg. oil
- 1 can chickpeas instead of 2
- ½ tsp. salt instead of 1 tsp.
- ¼ + cup lemon juice instead of dash of red wine vinegar
- a blend of 3 cups lamb broth (which I had in the freezer) plus 1 (32-oz) box low- sodium chicken broth
|Sauteeing the veggies and spices|
|Adding the lentils to the broth|
|Adding the chard a little at a time|
This soup is certainly a healthy, hearty, one-pot meal. Thanks, Lucine!