My version is an adaptation of the recipe, Narinchi Aghtsan, from Arto der Haroutunian’s “The Yogurt Cookbook”. (The photo shows a single serving.)
Armenian Orange Salad
2 Tbsp. chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts or pistachios
Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:¼ - 1/3 cup plain yogurt
¼ tsp. vanilla, optional
1 – 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (use the lesser amount of sugar for the ¼ c. amount of yogurt)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Garnishes: A dash of cinnamon, Zest of one orangeDirections:
1. Zest one of the oranges before slicing; set aside.
2. Using a serrated knife, pare the oranges, removing any seeds and as much of the white membrane (pith) as possible.
3. Slice the oranges into ¼ inch circles, and arrange them on a serving platter. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the orange slices.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, vanilla, powdered sugar, and lemon juice. If you prefer a thinner sauce, stir in a little bit of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
5. Drizzle the yogurt sauce over the orange slices; sprinkle with cinnamon and orange zest. Serve immediately as an accompaniment to poultry or fish, or on its own.
NOTE: For added interest, the original recipe suggests sprinkling 10 chopped, pitted dates onto the salad.