Armenian Walnut Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
¼ lb. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup chopped walnuts (the Armenian ingredient)
NOTE: Chopped pecans can be used instead of walnuts.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, milk, beaten eggs and vanilla.
3. Blend the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture using an electric hand mixer or wooden spoon just until combined.
4. Fold in the chopped nuts.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
6. Grease the bottom and sides of a 8”x12” rectangular baking pan.
7. Pour the cake batter into the pan, spreading the batter evenly.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool completely.
10. To serve, cut into squares -- large or small. The size is up to you.