That’s what happened this past weekend; I was in a dessert bind. Unknowingly, Douglas, my sous chef, came to the rescue! Earlier in the week, Doug felt like having a simple, yet special for dessert, so he went to the refrigerator and whipped up a yogurt dish.
We always have plain yogurt, honey, and pistachio nuts on hand; that’s a given. When Doug realized we still had some Noyan Sour Cherry Preserves leftover from his martini project, he knew he had the makings of a winning dessert. Trust me, it was sublime!
Recalling this successful, impromptu delight, I followed suit, making Doug’s “Yogurt with Honey, Sour Cherry Preserves, and crushed Pistachios”.
Here’s how to make it …
Yogurt with Honey, Sour Cherry Preserves, and Crushed Pistachios
Serves 4 to 5
2 cups of rich, creamy plain yogurt (any kind will do, really, as long as it’s plain and of good quality)
Sour Cherry Preserves (we used Noyan brand from Armenia which is usually found in Middle Eastern stores)
Garnish: A few tablespoons of crushed pistachio nuts
1. Place the yogurt in a mixing bowl.
2. Drizzle about 2 Tbsp. honey into the yogurt, and whisk until blended.
3. Distribute the yogurt into 4 or 5 individual serving bowls.
4. Spoon a little of the sour cherries with some of the liquid on top of the yogurt.
5. Garnish each with crushed pistachios and serve.