You might have noticed an increased number of eggplant recipes on The Armenian Kitchen recently. Well, that's due to the thrilling news that my husband is not allergic to it! Here's a recipe similar to one I sampled recently that just tickled my taste buds. I hope you'll like it, too!
|Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Stacks|
Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Stacks
Yields 12 stacks
These stacks make a delightful appetizer, side dish, or even a main dish!
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. za’atar (plus more for garnish)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 tsp. kosher salt (or to taste)
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
**1 medium eggplant, trimmed, sliced into 12 - 1/2-inch rounds
**2 medium to large fresh tomatoes, ends trimmed, cut into 4 slices each
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
**Note: The eggplant and tomato diameters should be similar in size for an attractive appearance.
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, za’atar, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside for flavors to blend. Note: If using a grill pan, be sure not to crowd the pan. Cook the eggplant in batches.
2. Lightly brush both sides of the eggplant slices with seasoned lemon-olive oil mixture; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
|Grilling eggplant slices in batches|
3. Grill eggplant until lightly charred and tender, turning as needed, about 4 minutes on each side.
4. After the second sides of the eggplant slices are cooked, top each with 1 tomato slice. Brush the top of each tomato slice with the remaining lemon juice mixture and top with 1 tablespoon of crumbled feta. Cover grill or grill pan and cook until tomato and feta soften slightly, about 1 or 2 minutes.
5. Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with addition za’atar, if desired.